Saturday, January 03, 2009

Daily Bread

With the beginning of the New Year, I am looking forward to encountering my journey with renewed energy. Although there will be a certain amount of high-level activity, it is the intentional refueling of the heart and mind that will give me nourishment for the days ahead. In no particular order, the initial efforts include:

ReadingA Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah. Upon completion, I am sure that I will be sharing my thoughts about this remarkable account.
Family and friends – Lots of good conversations both in person and via phone. I really need to be more attentive to these relationships through regular contacts and visits as they allow me to understand in so many ways who I am and need to be.
Eating and Exercise – I have been enjoying good, healthy meals and know that lots of fruits and vegetables need to be part of my diet. Although we have not been to the gym for two weeks, we are faithfully walking through the neighborhood.
Study – I am preparing a four-part study “How the Bible Shapes My Faith?” and a homily for Seagull-Snowbird worship service. As usual, I am gaining the most.

However, as I reflect on what really does give me real energy and nourishment on my journey, I once again discover that there is a very real and trustworthy source of renewable energy. This source comes straight from God and can be drawn upon in times of silence, stillness and prayer. It also comes in unexpected encounters with God’s surprises. Every day offers a new opportunity to be nourished, to receive my “daily bread.”

No comments: