Thursday, September 11, 2008

An Ohio Visit


We are enjoying a hint of fall this week while visiting family in Ohio. Cool weather, lack of rain, maturing crops, presidential politics and Ohio State football dominate the conversation. However, as usual, it is the memories of times past that surround me and lead me into realizing how family and community have shaped me.

However, it is my parents that are the focus of our visit as they are elderly and have health issues. Fortunately, they have a very supportive network that lets them live in their home, the one where my dad was born and the one they have shared for sixty–four years. With the approach of winter, all are wondering if they can maintain this living arrangement. We join many, many other families striving to do the right thing and I have decided that each one has to chart its own course. There seem to be few easy answers and the ones that we feel good about only come through family conversation and prayerful consideration. Long-distance care-giving is not an easy task.

No comments: