Monday, May 05, 2008

Weary Days

We all have them...days when we feel so physically, mentally, emotionally tired that we are also spiritually tired. I once heard a woman say, “I am tired – way down into next year.” Recently, I admit that I have been feeling a bit like that. So, it was a special moment when I read this passage. “…Jesus, tired out by his journey, was sitting by the well.” (John 4:6) Whenever the journey becomes overwhelming, Jesus gives an example to follow. He was weary, so he sat down and rested. It was as though I had permission not only to be tired, but also to rest. I also heard the invitation – “Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens and I will give you rest.” (Matthew 11:28) So, with a long list of things to do I stopped last evening and rested. This morning the list remains, but I certainly feel better equipped to continue the journey. Why is this such a hard lesson to learn for some of us?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, and thank God for you!

Anonymous said...

I can only echo the comments of "anonymous". Your reflections could not have been more timely for me. As I was preparing the bulletin for this Sunday, I noted that the denomination considers this to be the Festival of the Christian Home Sunday, Mother's Day, and Pentacost Sunday. Because of a special event last week, this will also be Communion Sunday for us, and we have new members joining. Yes, it is a busy time, and I am tired just preparing for it, but you remind me that Jesus invites us to join him at the well to drink of the refreshing and renewing water of life He has to offer.

Thank you, Jean. As you do so often in this space, you have lifted my spirits and refocused my spiritual center.