Friday, May 02, 2008

General Conference News

As the 2008 General Conference comes to a close, I share a few of the stories that have caught my attention.

Our mission statement has been expanded to read - "...to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world." Bishop Gregory Palmer's comments about how this is the "why"we make disciples and a fulfillment of Wesleyan thought make sense to me.

A committee was authorized to develop a new hymnal that will be presented to the 2012 General Conference for approval. Already I can hear the lively discussion about what will or will not be included.

Membership vows will now include the promise to be faithful in "their witness". I look forward to observing how congregations will interpret and fulfill this vow.

The Judicial Council elected its first woman president. Susan Henry-Crowe is an elder in the South Carolina Conference who currently serves as dean of Cannon Chapel at Emory University. It is nice to know people in high places and to be confident in their ability to serve.

The Study of Ministry will be continued for the next four years. Although I understand the concerns by some United Methodists that we need to move forward with some significant changes, I believe that we should continue the discussion as to have a clearer understanding of the orders before major legislation is introduced.

Once again General Conference has agonized over the issues that surround homosexuality and apparently has maintained its current stance. Isn't it interesting that Jesus never spoke of this matter, yet we choose to engage in such painful, devisive dialogue about it?

Not only have I enjoyed being part of General Conference through the coverage found at www.umc.org, but also through several delegate's blogs. Again, I refer you to Stephan Taylor's blog for an insight into a delegate's experience. I give thanks for those who have so faithfully served our church.

No comments: