Thursday, May 01, 2008

Dreams

I seem to be dreaming a lot lately or at least remembering my dreams as I awake. Although I do not keep dream journals or think that there is great meaning in them, I do understand that they indicate that I may be unusually concerned by certain situations or events in my life. So, I find it important to name them and give them prayerful attention if I am to have restful sleep. It is interesting how dreams seem to weave stories of our past and present together. Are they omens of the future? Maybe, if we don’t handle them with care.

My current dreams seem to focus on tests….ones for which I have not studied or have studied the wrong material. This may be because my e-Christian Ed students at Columbia College are at the end of their semester and some are not ready for their final assignments. Yet, these dreams do lead me to thinking about whether I am ready for the tests in my life. I am a dedicated student, but sometimes I wonder if I have studied the wrong things or have not fully engaged in the process of learning with openness and discernment. When tested, I see only one answer and if that doesn't work I don't always know an alternative one. Therefore, these dreams about tests may be reflective of a need to claim God's gifts of a searching heart and questioning mind. Perhaps dreams are just another way to discover life-giving truths for the journey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Do a little research into "lucid dreaming". you could be one of those people who learn to recognize early in the REM dream sequence that they are asleep and dreaming. Find out the signposts and signals that alert dreamers that they are involved in a dream. Maybe you will be able to direct the tone of your dreams by actions you take in the dream. Try to determine during each dream whether you are seeing the dream through your eyes and know that you are involved or whether you actually see yourself and your body as a participant in the action. Fun stuff. I always try to find a point in dreams that I can use as motivation to fly. Start by lifting your feet and floating horizontally like in a pool. Sometimes you end up flying feet first, but no matter. It is great practice for being comfortable on the day of our great journey out of this world. Tom