Monday, May 21, 2007

Welcome, Nathan

Our Duke Divinity summer intern arrived this past weekend. Nathan has just completed his first year of seminary and is seeking to further explore his call to parish ministry through this ten-week field experience. I think it is quite appropriate that he begins and ends his time with us in worship. He has spent the last two days meeting and greeting church members and staff and trying to learn a bit about First UMC and Myrtle Beach. I am sure it is all a bit overwhelming, but his winning smile is still in place and he is making plans to teach, preach, visit and to be a part of other assorted activities.

I am so pleased how this congregation takes seriously its role as a teaching church and willingly shares in this experience. By doing so, we certainly are helping to shape the future not only for Nathan, but for the church as well. This is an awesome task and I am glad to be involved with the passing of the mantle. I am curious what congregants think it important for him to know. For me, I plan to help him understand the importance of the teaching role of a pastor and being a servant.

No comments: