Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Joy of Knitting

Along with many other women (and a few men), I have rediscovered the joy of knitting. Primarily, I knit prayer shawls that are given to those who need to be reminded of God’s abiding presence. Other persons I know knit beautiful scarves and assorted items for family and friends. Many do some form of charity knitting – chemo caps, infant caps, blanket squares, scarves and lap robes. It is interesting that a many of the knitted items become gifts of love to others. That topic in itself would be interesting to explore. All of this seems to have generated novels with characters that knit. Debbie Macomber’s A Good Yarn is one that I just read and enjoyed. The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs is in the stack of books to be read by my bed. There are also devotional books that focus on knitting. Websites abound that share patterns, sell yarn and needles and give instructions and tips. Yarn shops and knitting groups are popular places to create important friendships.

Somewhere along the way I found this quote by an unknown author that expresses my interest in knitting:

“The act of knitting is a meditation, for the work of the hands compels the mind to rest, and gives free rein to movements of the soul."

No comments: