Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A Trip to Durham

I spent the last couple of days at Duke Divinity School in preparation for our field education student, Nathan Kilbourne. This year we are part of the Teaching Congregation program that offers an added experience for those who are named Duke Scholars in recognition of their academic achievement and promise of future ministry. Although I enjoyed supervising our interns the last two summers, I now have a greater respect for this program after meeting and hearing the faculty that oversee it. First UMC has undertaken very important work by offering this contextual learning experience that helps further define a student’s call and prepare him/her for ministry. Nathan will begin his field experience on May 20 and be with us for ten weeks. He will be sampling the realities of congregational life in a variety of ways.

Some observations and thoughts from my Duke adventure:
- Duke seminary students are some of the youngest in the country and I certainly am a mature minister.
- Students not only study the usual basic courses, but also enter into meaningful community and together explore what it means to be in ministry.
- Environmental and social justice issues are major concerns and calls to activism.
- It is exciting to think about what our future church might be.
- God does live in Duke Chapel.
- It was a good time for me to evaluate my own ministry and consider what I need to be studying to further my effectiveness. I am still thinking about this and will take suggestions.
- A meaningful pilgrimage can be made by traveling I-95 and I-40.

No comments: