Saturday, May 19, 2007

Books for the Road

During my recent road trips, I have listened to two books that have recalled memories of people, places and events from my past. Each has given me an insight into my personal quirks and idiosyncrasies in an enjoyable sort of way and I recommend these books to others.

The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid: A Memoir by Bill Bryson is a delicious account of growing up during the 1950s in Des Moines, Iowa. Not only could I readily visualize his story, but I could also see the department stores, restaurants, schools and homes of my childhood. With humor, Bryson told his story of family and friends and how they shaped his life during this time. I enjoyed similar reflection of my own story as he told his and realized how this can be both fun and therapeutic.

Recipes From My Life by Pat Conroy combines two mainstays of Southern living – cooking and storytelling. As Conroy recounts his adventures of cooking, he tells much of his life’s journey. With detailed descriptions of classic Southern dishes like shrimp and grits and macaroni and cheese to fine European cuisine, he tantalizes the taste buds and taunts the culinary skills of this listener. Interwoven are the stories of his dysfunctional childhood and interesting adult life. In listening to his story, I remember my mother teaching me to cook, the wonderful breads and desserts made by my grandmother, the special family gatherings and favorite foods from my childhood. Add to this the requests from Robert for molasses cookies and Dan for beef stew, I realize the sacredness of food prepared carefully and shared with others.

No comments: