Saturday, February 25, 2006

Night

Recently, I read the new translation of Night by Elie Wiesel. Although I have heard Wiesel speak of his experiences in the Nazi concentration camps, I had never read this small book. I certainly could have read this book in an evening, but I would have known only the words. Instead, I choose to read it slowly over several days. His use of language and the events described were too rich and powerful not to linger over them. Also, I could only stand to read about the atrocities a little at a time. While part of me wanted to wipe out of my mind what was being said, the rest of me wanted never to forget.

I certainly am experiencing a confluence of events and I am not sure what it means. I recently watched the Bonhoeffer PBS presentation and was overwhelmed how he was welling to give his soul for so many as part of a plot to kill Hitler. Then there are the reoccurring news stories of those who don’t believe the Holocaust ever happened. Also, the current stories of genocide and human abuse from Darfur continue to haunt me. Especially, since they almost go unnoticed by the major news services. With all this in mind, I remember reading what Weisel asked his father in as their horrible fate was being revealed: “Can this be true? This is the twentieth century, not the Middle Ages. Who would allow such crimes to be committed? How could the world remain silent?”

In 1989, Elie Wiesel concludes his acceptance speech for the Nobel Peace Prize by saying, “Our lives no longer belong to us alone, they belong to all those who need us desperately.”

Now in 2006, the stories of human injustices near and far continue. When will Jesus the Christ call us to action? “Whatever you have done for these you’ve truly done for me.” Maybe, he is calling and we are not listening.


No comments: