Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A Good Listener

While rummaging through my desk I found some notes taken at a long forgotten conference. However, these thoughts are timeless. Not only do I wish that I would adhere to them, but also think that they could be helpful to others. So as a reminder to all, I offer the following:

You can be a good listener if you...
-limit your own talking.
-think like the other person.
-ask questions.
-don't interrupt unless it is necessary.
-concentrate on what's being said.
-take notes.
-listen for ideas...not just words.
-add an occasional "Yes, I see."
-turn off your own worries.
-prepare in advance.
-react to ideas...not the person.
-don't jump to conclusions.
-listen for tone of voice, both yours and theirs.


P.S. - In thinking about these notes, it seems that I could apply them to my prayer life, also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stephen Covey, in his book, "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People", lists as one of the habits to "seek first to understand, then be understood." Understanding demands effective listening habits, and your list provides excellent suggestions. As always, thank you for stimulating my thinking and, hopefully, my actions.