Monday, February 06, 2006

Each New Day

Recently, I read these words from Martin Luther's Small Catechism: "In the morning, as soon as you get out of bed, you are to make the sign of the holy cross and say: 'God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit watch over me. Amen.' " Further directions follow: say the Apostles Creed, pray the Lord's Prayer. ...Then "you are to go to your work joyfully." Through these words and action Luther recognized and affirmed his baptism daily. What if we did this daily? Certainly the weight of yesterday's wrongs and the burdens of tomorrow's worries would turn into a gift of grace and peace for today. Just a thought.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have tried different things over the years as a form of daily devotional. including publications such as The Upper Room and Disciplines, reading Scripture, and prayer. None seemed to bring me the "grace and peace for today" that I was seeking. Maybe I allowed my mind to wander during prayer, or treated the Scripture reading as Bible study (not unimportant) rather than allowing God to speak to me, or found that the devotional readings didn't capture my interest. Luther's practice seems so eloquent and uncluttered--an acknowledgement of God the Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer, an affirmation of my beliefs, and praying the perfect prayer which, as Ken reminded us yesterday, never mentions "me". Thank you! This is a new habit I will try to form.