Monday, October 24, 2005

Festival of Faith

What a rich experience to hear the word proclaimed by Jan Brittain! Jan is an ordained United Methodist minister from Greensboro, NC. As an adopted daughter of this church, it is always like a homecoming when she is with us. During our Festival of Faith, she has challenged us “to keep the body of Christ healthy and fit in the world today.” Drawing on the book of Acts, Jan has reminded us that it is the power of the Holy Spirit that allows us to live in faithfulness as individuals and as a community of believers.

I have especially appreciated Jan’s understanding of Barnabas, Paul’s encourager, and the importance of such persons within the church. Her sermon has led me to remember those persons who have encouraged me to be more than I have known myself to be. What a gift they have given me! I trust it has been important to the church, the body of Christ, as well. From those who invited and encouraged me to serve the church in a variety of ways as a layperson to those who helped me hear the call to ordained ministry, I can name so many significant persons in my life. But, Jan’s message isn’t about what has been, but what must be for the body of Christ to be healthy today. So, how can I be a Barnabas to others?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

With the grace you extend to others and your selflessness, how can you NOT be a Barnabus! Thank you for what you mean to me and the work that I do! Your encouragement, your vision, your inspiration continue to lead me out of my comfort zone--a bad thing and a very good thing. And never boring. You bless so many, may God bless you richly for it...

Anonymous said...

You are truly a Barnabus to so many and it is sad that you will never know what that number is. You are a constant inspiration to so many. We are so very blessed to have you at First Church.

Rev. Jean said...

Thank you. I have been blessed to be able to answer the call to ministry as a deacon. One role of the deacon is to empower others to live a faithful life.

Jean