Saturday, October 01, 2005

Comfort Food

I love the term “comfort food” and enjoy identifying certain foods as such. Some of those heading my list would include meatloaf and mashed potatoes and hearty vegetable soup and cornbread. Of course, homemade bread, ice cream and anything chocolate would also be included. I am not sure why I find so much comfort in such food, but I am sure it relates more to the power of memory than my taste buds.

The mention of these comfort foods evokes wonderful mental pictures. One is of my mother cooking and our family around the table in lively conversation. Another picture would be of me preparing these foods for Ron and two little boys in days past. Both pictures give me a sense of peace and security in a time when our world seems out of kilter. The resulting contentment inspires me not only to return to the kitchen, but also to be in relationship with others so that their memory of well-being will be fed.

No comments: