Monday, January 07, 2008

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Our political candidates have named this is a year of change and the voters of Iowa have affirmed that idea. United Methodists are facing the possibilities of change through the actions of General Conference. Both of these events create tension between what is and what can be and we find that change doesn’t come easily. Even in our local communities and churches we resist doing things in different ways because the uncertainty of the unknown is sometimes just too challenging.

I remember another time of change, when these lyrics of Bob Dylan caught our attention and framed a whole generation's thinking:
Come gather 'round
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you
Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.

Political and social issues surrounding our foreign and domestic policies are forcing voters to examine carefully the hearts and minds of presidential candidates. General Conference delegates are having to place the church in a world that is demanding for the care of the earth and its people in new and dramatic ways. It also will have to respond to matters that divide the theological understanding of its members. The cultural paradigm seems to be shifting.

Reflecting on change reminds me of many of my DISCIPLE sessions this past fall when we read and discussed the events of the Old Testament. So many times God’s people returned to their old ways and rejected change in their lives and suffered as a result. Sometimes change occurred when the weak were attracted by other gods and found themselves in an alien land. Fortunately, we also have learned that God is persistent and keeps encouraging us to embrace God’s love and grace by establishing new ways of relating to others. All of this leads me to pray the familar words of Reinhhold Niebuhr: "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; the courage to change the things I can; and the wisdom to know the difference."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The times are changing so fast that maybe our Affirmation of Faith should add the phrase, "I believe that technology cannot save me,". Maybe if we say it enough times, we will remove the crutch that keeps us from truly walking in the landscape of the kingdom.

Anonymous said...

This Sunday we remember and celebrate the Baptism of our Lord. That will be the focus of my sermon. As I reflect on your post in light of my preparation for Sunday's service, I am struck by the realization that baptism represents the ultimate in change: we die to ourselves and are reborn, clothed in Christ. I know that is theological language, but I hope anyone reading this knows what it means. It means giving up our old selsh, sinful lifestyles and becoming part of the priesthood of all believers. commiting our lives to the realization of the Kingdom of God. Can there be a greater change?

As I listen to the presidential hopefuls, I am, as I usually am prior to an election, puzzled. This year, more than most, we seem to facing a diversity of options, both in political stance and in style. Change, and who can produce it, seem to have risen to the place of emphasis in the debates and in the stump speeches. What is most discouraging to me is that they all essentially claim to be the change agent that will make everything new and better. None have addressed the obvious obstacle posed by Congress, nore have any, at least that I have heard, called upon the people, in the manner of JFK, to accept some responsibility for the needed changes.

When we are baptized, we are adopted by God and marked forever as His. Yet we can choose to reject following in the way Jesus exemplified, or we can choose to follow Him, to welcome the change he offers. Let me not push the analogy to far: none of the candidates is the Christ. Yet, I wish that, in their incessant ranting that change is needed and will happen if he/she is elected, some candidate would acknowledge the role of the people and call on them to be part of the movement, if that is what is to evolve. By the way, our General Conference delegates would do well to adopt a similar attitude of humulity.