Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Tap on the Shoulder

The first days of this new year have been filled with chasing rabbits. These rabbits have run in all directions and not all wanted to be caught. So, it was with relief today when suddenly from out of nowhere I felt a tap on my shoulder and stopped to see who it was. It was a small child who wanted to share a hug. With a smile that reflected trust and love, a bond was formed with this hug. I saw my constant hurry through the innocent eyes of a child. I miss God’s grace when I don’t stop to receive the hugs that only God can give. One more time a little child reveals an important truth.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tomorrow we will be together and chase some more rabbits, and we probably won't catch them either. When you see me, I can promise my eyes won't be as innocent as the child's, but I do promise to smile and give you a hug!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had read this before I saw you today; I do a great Elmer Fudd impersonation!

The other morning, Curious George accidentaly let the rabbits out of the hutch. He used every scheme and ounce of energy he possessed, but the rabbits eluded him. Yet, in the end, they all found their way back into the hutch with no help from George. When I look back, I realize that many of the rabbits I have chased have turned out just fine and all I have for my trouble and anxiety are fatigue and lines on my forehead.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, God, for the children among us! I was showing off a badly bruised little toe to a four-year-old friend, explaining to her that it was sort of a science project to watch all the colors it was changing. "OOHH" was her response followed quickly by, "but your toenails look pretty!" What a wonderfully fresh perspective!

I hate to think of all the blessings that I have missed by looking at the world through my adult eyes, and I remain grateful for the reminders of "little ones" among us. Sometimes they are so much wiser! My toenails DID look great!

Anonymous said...

I chased a rabbit once that was late for a very important date.I don't remember what the date was for anymore, only the rabbit knows, but the incident nearly cost me my head.

Anonymous said...

one's head is intact and another has great toe nails! Thank God for the rabbits we chase and for the hindsight to enjoy them.