Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Doug Marlette

Yesterday, I was saddened to learn of the death of Doug Marlette. Today, I am beginning to read and hear accounts of his life and accomplishments. Among other things, I didn't realize that he and Pat Conroy were good friends and that he had written a second novel. (I really enjoyed his first one, The Bridge.) The Washington Post has an interesting story and the Charlotte Observer has a wonderful collection of past politcal cartoons. I will leave the eloquent words of remembrance to the professionals, but I know that my heart felt a bit heavy this morning when I opened the newspaper. Even if the newspapers continue to run Kudzu for awhile, it just won't be the same. Of course, Marlette's important contribution to the world of political cartoons has been lost. I trust that those near and dear to him know that the circle of grief is quite large and will be upheld by it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The daily papers will not be the same. I just clipped one of the comic strips and put it on my refrigerator last week. Will B. Dunn was lamenting in prayer that while we are to be fishers of men he often wanted to throw the fish back. He said with grace adn humor much of what we all want to say.