Saturday, July 21, 2007

Beach Time

Yesterday, Ron and I spent some time at Huntington Beach State Park. The blue sky, gentle waves and ocean breezes made a great way to enjoy at hot, summer day. As we packed our beach bag, I chose to be unplugged for a few hours and left behind the MP3 player and cell phone. In fact, we took very little with us to the beach compared to many who were around us. As we often note, the beach paraphernalia of many persons seems excessive and getting it organized and to the beach must tax the most rugged body and spirit. Then, these same beachgoers immediately sit down and plug-in. This would not constitute a relaxing experience for me.

However, I will admit reading is part of my beach time and yesterday I read the current issue of Newsweek. Ironically, “The Sad Fate of the Comma” by Robert J. Samuelson caught my attention. Not only did he write about the demise of comma on the printed page, but used it as a social commentary about our resistance to slowing down or pausing to think a bit before moving on.

Why can’t we simply find pleasure in being at the beach? How can we recover taking time to pause and let this be time set apart? Why don't I go to the beach more often?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2 questions
where's my comma?
where is your comma?

great article