Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Save a Life

As noted in several of my past blogs, Nothing But Nets, the global campaign to save lives by preventing malaria, has captured my heart. So it is with great interest that I note that United Methodists are being encouraged to observe Malaria Awareness Day on April 25th by supporting Nothing But Nets by donating the cost of a lunch. Of course, I have shared this information with others and I am glad to know that this will be promoted throughout First UMC.

-Every 30 seconds, a child dies in sub-Saharan Africa because of malaria.
-9 out of 10 deaths caused by malaria occur in Africa.

A $10 donation goes directly toward the purchase, distribution, and education about the proper us of these bed nets, and the Gates Foundation will match each donation, net for net.

In addition to supporting this life-saving campaign, United Methodists will be praying for the children of Africa, for those suffering with malaria, and for global health. From my perspective, this day is an important one to observe. We can make a difference!

No comments: