Saturday, April 28, 2007

Africa

During the last few years my heart has been drawn to the people of Africa. It may have begun with learning about Africa University, hearing the stories of missioners to this part of the world or meeting persons of Zimbabwe, Cameroon, or the Sudan. Recently, the news accounts of Darfur and the gruesome human suffering therein have been lessons in political power struggles. The Nothing But Nets campaign has captured my attention and has led me to encourage others to be support this effort to eradicate malaria. As the deacons gathered in Orlando last week, we offered support to an effort by deacons to offer hope to HIV/AIDS patients in Zimbabwe. In the early morning hours on Saturday, we walked on behalf of this effort and gave our monetary gifts as signs of caring for our brothers and sisters in Africa. I am not sure what this confluence of the stories of Africa means for me. Am I to visit this land of great humanitarian need? Am I to study and advocate about the needs of these long, abused countries? Am I to share more of my resources as signs of care and concern for these children of God?

Another aspect to my interest in Africa pertains to the rapid growth of Methodism in Africa and how this could shape to our denomination in the years to come. The Chicago Tribune reported this in an interesting story this past week. As Maxie Dunnam says, “The issue is how are we going to understand ourselves as a world church?”

No comments: