Friday, March 30, 2007

Barbara Brown Taylor

In recent years, I have enjoyed reading Barbara Brown Taylor’s sermons and other writings. Not only do I find them instructive as I try to improve my own preaching, but also important to the nurturing of my faith. Her use of words to express theological thought and reflection speaks to my soul. So, I was saddened when I learned about her latest book, Leaving Church, and her decision to leave the pulpit. Reading this book has given me much to ponder and has become an important part of my Lenten journey.

As I began to read about Barbara’s experiences that led her to discover that God’s call on her life was outside the local parish, I found much to which I could relate and understand. I almost became afraid that perhaps I was being invited to join her on her new path and was apprehensive as each chapter revealed more of her story. It was with a sense of relief when I came to the end of her story and realized that although I could claim some of the truths of which she writes, I still believe that I am where God calls me to be, the church. I also realize that she has not closed the door in her leaving church. However, once again I heard a strong message about the importance of observing Sabbath. This intentional encounter with God is a necessity if I am to be honest and authentic with God, myself and those I meet along the way.

P.S. Barbara concludes her book with a great recommended reading list that I plan use for my future reading. I think that we need to make sure that we have these books are in our library.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

At the risk of greatly oversimplifying the message of the book, I felt Barbara articulated the challenge a pastor has to resist being the pastor the people expect rather than the one God has called. In so doing, I believe she identified a core issue--perhaps the core issue--facing the institutional church. I continue to find her's to be one of the most provocative and honest voices in the church today.

As a poor man who can't afford to buy all of the books I want, I would really appreciate being able to borrow from the church's library if you decide to purchase any of the books in recommended reading list.

As always, thank you for sharing yourself with us and for your illuminating reflections.

Rev. Jean said...

Welcome back. Of course, you may use our library any time you wish. If you have not read Open Secrets by Richard Lischer, I recommend it to you. It is in the library and on BBT's list.