Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Ad Board Report

At each Administrative Board meeting I give a a report related to my ministry. These are some of the notes I shared this past Tuesday at our meeting.

-Much of my ministry focuses on the work of Council on Ministries. As Jean Clemmons reported, much is happening in our work areas and these folks are to be be commended for their commitment to telling the story effectively in a variety of ways.

-A strong teaching ministry is vital to the life of the church. That is an assumption with which most would agree. However, from time to time there is debate about what that needs to look like. Therefore, I share this thought with you from a Christian education professor at Perkins Theological Seminar:

“When the church is reticent to teach with clear authority, then both the content and the delivery systems of Christian education at all levels become dominated by what sells to consumers in the marketplace. Content gets based simply on popularly expressed personal needs, as if modern people clearly know their deepest needs.”
Susanne Johnson – Christian Spiritual Formation in the Church and Classroom

-I am assuming some new responsibilities with the Snowbirds/Seagulls in the fall. We have an active committee already planning for next year and I look forward to being with this delightful part of our congregation.

-Today at a clergy gathering I was challenged by someone that knows the dark side of living through HIV/AIDS and drug addiction as he said the following: “When are we going to see you in the neighborhood?” Ouch! So, may I always remember that when I claim Jesus Christ I am called to go out into the world. Let me not get too comfortable sitting under the steeple.

No comments: