Friday, June 19, 2009

A Very Good Book

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle has been on my to-read list for months and after seemingly being intimidated by it’s length, I recently decided to tackle it as an audio book borrowed from the Socastee Library. During the following weeks, I looked forward to driving anywhere, because I knew Richard Poe’s voice would fill my car with the wonderful telling of David Wroblewski’s captivating novel. Set in rural Wisconsin, this family saga surrounds a unique breed of dogs and a mute young hero whose ability to communicate with both humans and animals is intriguing. Edgar’s tale takes the reader/listener to the extremes of human tragedy with the creative use of language and plot, the makings of a very good novel. I especially enjoyed the exploration of the heart and intelligence of this fictional breed of dogs that filled Edgar’s life with important companionship. Not the usual summer read, but one that I would recommend for others to consider including whenever they have time to savor it.

1 comment:

Stephen Taylor said...

Jean,
I listened to the Sawtelle saga a month or so ago. You're right, good book. Some of the best descriptive proise I've come across lately. Just hope it doesn't get made into a movie.
Stephen