Saturday, February 14, 2009

Newspapers Then and Now

The conversation continues about the future of newspapers and what this means to our society. This NY Times editorial reminds us of the influence of the newspaper in the past and what their demise might mean. Although I think the writer cites some compelling evidence of the importance of newspapers, I wonder if we already have passed the point of no return for the daily newspaper because of what it is. Most are a part of large media corporations with little investigative reporting or independent thought. Local human interest news often covers the front page and news of real consequence is hard to find. Probably the more significant issue is that of preserving a free press, one that is the voice of, for and by the people. We also need to be concerned about how we synthesize the vast amount of information that is available to us electronically and discern what we do with it. I feel that this is a discussion that should also extend to what we read or hear as church news. However, this is a matter for another day.

FYI – I am still not ready to give up the Sun-News and a cup of coffee each morning. However, I read several newspapers and news sources on-line, also.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My morning ritual is usually unboken: start the coffee, drink my juice, take my pills (I am old, after all), AND THEN READ THE PAPER. I suspect that the daily is soon to be the albatross of our age, but how I will miss it. I use the internt and watch the cable channels, but I am old enough to appreciate lingering with the printed page.

A chief concern is that soemthing similar will happen to our study of the Word. If we grow out of the habit of reading our Bibles, what is the alternative?

AS one of those who qualifies for "Senior" theater tickets, I readily admit that I would mourn the demise of the written page in the reporting of news. Yet I watch the growing numbr of earphones that seem to be the dominant means of conveying information (or music?) to the brains now in charge.

Is "Heaven help us" appropriate?

Shalom,
George