Saturday, February 21, 2009

Wesley Study Bible

I have been reading the promos for the Wesley Study Bible for several months, but it was only when I began to read some very positive reviews of it that I decided to buy one. I am not disappointed. This NRSV Bible gives understanding of the Wesleyan faith through text notes that reference the writings of John Wesley and sidebars by Wesley theologians that focus on key terms, like Prevenient Grace, Works of Piety and Sacraments. A third group of notes give insight into faithful discipleship in the Wesleyan tradition. This Bible was edited by Dr. Joel B. Green and Bishop William H. Willimon and published by Abington Press. It would seem to be a wonderful resource for those who lead Bible studies and want to make sure that they are conversant with Wesleyan terms and theology that define Methodism. In fact, I encourage anyone to purchase this Bible and refer readers to Cokesbury for details about it. Please note that the special introductory price of $24.95 is available only until February 28.

This week Larry Hollen has a good review of the Wesley Study Bible on his blog and Bishop Willimon has some interesting thoughts about it on his blog, also. I look forward to using this Bible in the days ahead, especially as I explore the Lenten texts.

No comments: