Saturday, March 08, 2008

The Legacy of Friendship

In a recent NY Times op-ed column, David Brooks wrote that “William F. Buckley Jr.’s greatest talent was friendship. He showered affection on his friends, and he had an endless stream of them, old and young. ” This led me once more to consider the matters of friendships. Although there has been much discussion about people in the United States having fewer close friends than in years past, we also are told the value of friendship and its importance to our well-being. As a result of so many strained families, friends have become surrogate family and the primary source of support and affection. “Faithful friends are a sturdy shelter: whoever finds one has found a treasure” ( Sirach 6:14) To be a friend and to have a friend supports the understanding that we are social and relational, not solitary and autonomous. There is a special kind of grace expressed in friendship for a friend is someone who makes us feel more like our true selves, one who recognizes the person we were meant to be. Buckley seemed to understand that this is the way we are called into fullness of life. I am coming to realize that I haven’t spent enough time and energy in recent years nurturing such relationships.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Sometimes our light goes out but is blown into flame by another human being. Each of us owes deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this light."
-Albert Schweitzer




tom

Anonymous said...

I have also been struggling lately with the fact that I have not been a good friend! What a shame that the busy-ness of my daily life often offers me the regret of "not enough hours" instead of the reminder of what enriches those hours.

I love your comment that a friend is someone who makes us feel more like our true selves. I have been blessed enough to have friends who actually make me feel like a better version of my true self! What a blessing--and not to be taken for granted. Thank you for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

"Men kick friendship around like a football, but it doesn't seem to crack. Women treat it like glass and it goes to pieces." - Anne Morrow Lindbergh

"An old friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a dead body." - Jim Hayes

"Give me one friend, just one, who meets the needs of all my varying moods." - Esther M. Clark