Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Out of the Darkness

Isn’t it ironic that in this season of bright and flashing lights and general sensory overload that we (I) often stumble into darkness? I warn others about this, yet find myself struggling to stay on the path to Bethlehem. The absence of compassion and of justice that captures my attention each day seems especially poignant. The shadows fall across the earth early in the day leaving me feeling as though the day is over and I have not accomplished what I should. A sense of loneliness in a time of busyness leaves me feeling that I am going the wrong way. The voices around me are echoes lost in the canyon of my empty soul. The Good News is that each time when I reach this point something or someone resets my compass and leads me back to the path which is to be traveled. Saturday it was the unconditional love of William and Ethan.

Jesus said, “I am the light of the world, anyone who follows me will not be walking in the dark, but will have the light of life.” John 8

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the extraordinary power of the reality of the Newborn that floods us this time of year takes the edge off of our willing suspension of disbelief long enough for us to embrace the supernormal. The Christ child is alive. Being so aware of possibilities at Christmastime bleeds into our mundane tasks and our daily doses of pain and sorrow. Sometimes we expect that another extraordinary event will happen in our lives now to relieve an old "ache" or the "ache" of a loved one.
Meanwhile, the Earth is getting ready for bed. Our alresdy too short days get even shorter and cooler and dreary and filled with something
"super-extraordinary", the list of wordly bustle with which we have swaddled ourselves.
Predictably, we eventually tire. The moments of what, heretofore, would have been welcomed rest become guilt laden avoidances. In a twinkling, our visions of sugar plums are interrupted by visions of parking lots, plumb full of cars. The only thing dancing in our heads is a road rage hangover, and we are ired when we realize that we will again disappoint ourselves by not being "prepared" when the day comes.
This season let happiness be a natural by-product of spiritual enlightenment. "Out of the Darkness" is not "into the Disco ball of holiday twinkle lights". "Out of the Darkness" is simply with God. Be there. Be happy. Meretricious.