Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Golden Compass

The movie, The Golden Compass, is generating a lot of discussion in a variety of settings. I find myself easily irritated at anything that sounds like censorship and get frustrated with some of the irrational comments that hear about it. Yet, I want to have a better understanding of this movie and its author, Philip Pullman. Today, I was most pleased to hear NPR's On Point and commend it to others. For some viewers, this movie could be thought provoking and enriching. Others, could be confused and led astray by it. If my teen really wanted to see it, I would see it with him or her and make sure that we had a conversation about it. In the meantime, I think I will save my movie money for something else.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Copied this post because I thought it made sense.

I do see the reasoning though, there is an explicit agenda in the books. This, in Pullman interviews is something the author denounces and argues so vehemently against in C.S. Lewis' works, quite clearly. My question is, why is he doing the very same thing he proposes was so abhorrent?

Another funny thing, even if the intentions were to create some sort of atheist following of the children reading the books, they are certainly bringing the hard questions of religion into the light, and almost CREATING a yearning for truth within religion. Some people have even said it has deepened their sense of Christianity, as the book takes a good hard look at the "heart" and "conscience" of the individual. This could very well be an appropriate catalyst for spiritual reawakening for some.

Interesting...and yes, the banning idea just plays perfectly INTO the message of the book.
Which actually works out well for both sides of the argument.

Anonymous said...

I saw the previews with no knowlege of the controversy surrounding the movie. It did not interest me. It looked like Little Orphan Annie with a pet polar bear. I am not deep or theological today. However, if my teen wanted to see it, I think it would be a good opportuntiy for conversation about many things, including relgion, after we watched it together.