Saturday, November 17, 2007

I Don't Have Time

On Tuesday and Wednesday I attended the fall meeting of the SC Conference Board of Ministry. Our purpose was to interview the candidates for ordination as full deacons and elders. I serve on the Call and Disciplined Life Committee whose work is to explore with the candidates how they are living out their call and practicing disciplines that lead to effective ministry. Health issues often dominate these discussions as too many of our candidates are overweight and under-exercised. The response of the candidates to this matter and other issues of disciplined life usually include, “I don’t have time.”

One thing that I have noticed in reading scripture is that those who heard God’s call may have said, “I am not worthy” or “I do not have the skills.” They did not say, “I don’t have the time.” They retreated for prayer, meditation and instruction. And, of course, they walked and walked. Things have changed since Bible times for “I don’t have time” is a common reply to God’s call in our lives. Our conversations seem to focus on how busy we have been, currently are, or soon will be. We try to cram every minute full of activity.

The problem with living in a frantic pace is that we lose touch with the joy inherent in really being present to the moment. We lose touch with our souls. We lose touch with one another, especially our families and friends. Our ministry loses its effectiveness and we become stalled or detoured on our faith journey. I don’t think that these thoughts pertain only to the ordained.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that it ALSO pertains to the ordained! We make time for what is important to us--oh, how guilty I am of prioritizing badly!!

It is an interesting paradox that in matters of the soul, our frenetic pace causes us to lose, and in matters of weight, our frenetic pace causes us to gain. Balance, where art thou?

Anonymous said...

I would like to comment on this post,
but I don't have time.