Saturday, November 03, 2007

Autumn

I love the change of seasons and although at times it is nearly imperceptible in Myrtle Beach, there are always signs that connect me with this important rhythm of life. Such are these days as we finally experience some cooler days and see a hint of fall foliage. This transitional season is one of comfort. A sense of quiet begins to invade our lives and it is almost as if we are yawning. Only the clocks are alert as they prepare to change.

Personally, as the world seems to fade except for the low, orange moon, I can almost smell the musky, woods-like odors of autumn and recall days past when I walked across the Ohio State campus on my way to a Saturday afternoon football game or when I took walks along picturesque wooded paths in a variety of places. My thoughts drift to faces of yesterday which seemingly float like ghosts though my mind. Bluejeans and turtlenecks become my favorite casual attire and hearty soups are regularly found on my menu. With the deliberate preparations being made for colder days ahead, I rejoice that a needed time of quiet and peace is approaching and out of this new life will surely spring. Praise be to God!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

as afternoons shorten my heart travels across the years to the autumns of my youth, when evenings became gathering times for my family. There was a coziness in coming in together from the cold, and knowing darkness and cold were just on the other side of the window, but here, we were safe, warm and together. I can still smell the woodsmoke and the simmering dinner. I wish sometimtes that I could feel so secure again, but years bring wisdom, and to learn what is really precious, we have to learn that all things pass away and are fragile.