Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Predators

I have been watching bits and pieces of Chris Hansen’s confrontations with sexual predators on NBC’s Dateline over the last few weeks. Disgusting! Sick! I would rather ignore this social ill, but I realize that I can’t. I don’t know what the appropriate response needs to be. But, somehow I need to educate parents to this danger their teens face when they enter into this dark side of the Internet and help them talk with their youth about this danger. I also know that parents still are reluctant to help their children understand their sexual being. This makes them vulnerable to this kind of scum. It is interesting that the suggestion that the church offer a human sexuality program for 4-6th grade students and their parents has not been welcomed by those who could make it happen. I think our church family sometimes insulates itself from the greater community. Somehow I need to help our parents address some of these issues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

can we do a short class thing on the church and the internet? Maybe a churchwide intergenerational project? I think it is a project evangelism, mission, congregational care and communications could collaborate on.... somthing to think about.

Rev. Jean said...

I do think this is a possibility. Let's see what we can do. Thanks for caring for our families.

Jean

Anonymous said...

i heard that one of the schools in Florence held a meeting and SHOWED parents the things their kids had on myspace etc. and then helped them formulate plans and ideas concerning the internet.