Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

Although my family is not a military family (mainly because there are too many Quakers in it), my grandmother taught me that Decoration Day was very important. I would accompany her as she placed flowers, usually iris and peonies, on family graves in several cemeteries. She also included the graves of former neighbors who no longer had family to attend to this duty. Of course, hearing family stories was an important part of the ritual. But, most of all I was taught to remember and respect those whose lives had created my world. In many ways it was a sacred journey. This ritual usually was done during the twilight hours before Decoration Day, so that the flowers could bear testimony to love and honor the whole next day.

My brothers, sister and I looked forward to the parade that was part of the local Decoration Day celebration. Led by the high school band, grey haired veterans of the armed services would proudly remind us of the day’s purpose. A fire truck and a few old cars were the remainder of this parade that ended at the cemetery. Speeches and taps followed. I am glad that I have these rich memories of those who gave so much to their community and country in so many ways.

No comments: