Thursday, March 09, 2006

Companions in Ministry

Today, Scarlett and I were in Lexington to be a part of the Gathering of the Fellowship of Clergy. The orders of elders, deacons, and local pastors convene several times of year to explore topics that impact our ministry and to be in fellowship with one another. As always I enjoyed being with some folks that have been very important to me through the years and meeting others who now will be part of my continuing journey. Our focus today was clergy companionship and friendship. Many of us know the feeling of isolation in our ministry. While we have important relationships with other clergy and laity, we miss those special friendships that support and affirm us as individuals. As we discussed, the intineant system discourages the opportunity to develop these friendships. It was good to recognize this as an important issue among clergy and their families and to sense that we need to make this a priority for healthy living.

Coincidentally, Lexington is the place of many long time friends. We moved to Lexington in 1982 and joined Lexington UMC soon thereafter. Many friendships were formed in that congregation that we continue to enjoy. Fred Reese was one of the ministers during this time. He and others encouraged me to answer the call to ministry. Yes, friendships are important to our well-being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As an item in the inventory of "laity", I am grieved to contemplate the lack of reassurance
for a job well done that a congregation forces upon clergy. Ergo, I jumped out of the way of the runaway carriage that would have borne me there. While balanced upon and running down
the middle of the fence, it occured to me that I tended to form meaningful friendships initially based on the sophistication of another's sense of humor. Whether lay or clergy, it is easier to wrest God from another's hiding place once you understand how they make cognitive associations, and which triggers fire the juxtapositons that are commonly funny. Then the fumbling of the spiritual "chicken or the egg" social discourse is lessened. The decision of which comes first, the chicken (I'll show you my humanity if you show me yours) or the egg ( I'll show you my Godliness if you show me yours) can be avoided. God becomes the most fun topic imaginable.
Lay persons have no problem seeking the Godliness in the humanity of other lay people. The problem exists between lay and clergy because laity is afraid to find out how human are the clergy in their Godliness. Did you hear the one about...? is not the first ice breaker choice of most lay people when trying to form a relationship with a member of the clergy. Lighten up, both camps. Take God seriously but not yourselves or each other. Approach and be approachable.
We, the lay, do earnestly repent. It is meet and right so to do. We affirm your worth by doubting our worthiness. See how it works.?!