Saturday, November 21, 2009

Make a Home a Castle

I can’t believe it, but the Sun News has vindicated me. After years of ignoring many decorating trends in favor of using inherited items and family photos to adorn our home, an article in this morning’s paper stated that we should reflect who we are by following this same practice. By incorporating such treasured items into an overall plan gives “a nod to our roots.”

Over the years I do admit that I have spent hours pouring over the pages of home decorating magazines and changed colors and window treatments as advised by the professionals. (No more orange and avocado with heavy drapes in my house!) However, as we have moved from place to place it has become increasingly important to me to surround us with items that reflect family and family. From Grandma Owens’s rocking chair to grandchildren pictures, our space certainly offers a reflection of who we are. To us these special things make our house feel like home. We have also found them to be a great catalyst for sharing family history with our sons and their families. Although not a castle, I find our home to wrap us in its own kind of luxury and to be a witness of a family’s strength.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A nod to our roots? To see our home is more like a spastic genuflection at Christmas! Seriously, I love using ornaments and decorations that have been a part of my family for years. When I decorate, it's like having a conversation with people I love and still miss. I think of all the changes since the previous year, and I spend time telling the stories. Nice to know I am slighty fashionable.