Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Greatest Challenge

As a church professional I spend a lot of time studying and thinking about numbers, finances, programs and ministries. I want to help create a vital congregation that makes a difference to Myrtle Beach and the world beyond. My goal is always to nurture discipleship of Jesus Christ. And, I become frustrated and saddened when indifference and apathy seem to prevail. I become distracted about what is reality. It is not easy being a Christian. So, it was providential that I read the following written by Will Willimon: “Let us remind ourselves in worship this Sunday that our greatest challenge is that which it has always been – loving and serving a living, truthful God!" This is all that really matters, isn't it?

2 comments:

George said...

If it is of any comfort, know that you are not the only one to have moments, or hours, or days of frustration and sadness and even doubt. Yet I find myself restored by remembering that the real task is, as Jesus told us, to love God and love our neighbor, or, as Willimon has so beautifully paraphrased, loving and serving a living, truthful God. When I remember to make the main thing the main thing, I find I have no real time to get down.Yes, it is all that really matters, and thank you for reminding me once again.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I think I am hitting my head against the ministries of brick and mortar. Sometimes I want to scream "Buildings do not disciples make."