Monday, August 17, 2009

Social Media

A couple months ago I realized that I had better get on board with social media, especially as to how it might be important to my ministry and the church's ministry. I researched, reviewed and took the plunge. I am now on Facebook and Twitter as is First UMC. James Sturgeon is responsible for the latter and is doing a great job with keeping it current. Although social media has been great summertime fun, I still wonder about the significance of it all. Then, my son, Robert, sent me this video. Maybe we are doing the right thing as we seek new ways to effectively tell the story.


Just when thought I was catching up with the newest and the latest, my husband gives me a smart phone. Now I have a new challenge. Will keep you posted.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Great post! I think this video really sums it up well. People who chose to ignore social media now will only need to play catch up in the future. Thanks for the mention.

George said...

As always, Jean, you stimulate my thinking if not my actions, though that too at times. My first reaction, to the video, is that I need to learn to read faster! My second reaction is the whole issue of getting onto Facebook and/or Twitter. I don't question the value northe reality of this media form now being the new currency of communication with the younger members of socieaty. For me, at age 69, the question becomes one of priorities. To properly embrace Facebook et al means commiting signigicant time, often on an immediate basis. What do I give up out of a lifestyle I have shaped to reflect the priorities that I believe most important to me? I accept social networking via electronic media to be useful and, indeed, important; however, like my face-to-face social networking, I want to control it and not have it control me. I guess, though I need to get on board and then climb off if it doesn't work for me. O the dilemma of change - is it an opportunity or an annoyance?

Anonymous said...

I like what George said... what do I have to sacrifice to get on board and do I want to invest that much time and energy regularly. Then again, I do check and respond to e mail a few times a day.