Friday, May 22, 2009

A Hiatus

I didn’t plan a hiatus, it just happened. All at once I was just overwhelmed with lots of busyness and little time for reflection. Bits and pieces of thoughts would drift through my mind as I read and heard of the events of the day, but somehow the habit of developing these into a blog post seemed to be broken. It is now time for me to once again ponder what I am experiencing and to share it with others so that I can ask, “What does God require?” and to claim a clearer understanding of the journey into faithful living.

From family matters to world concerns, the challenge to grow in faith and to act with mercy and justice is ever present. Once again my heart sings, “Precious Lord, take my hand, Lead me on, let me stand.” My story needs to go beyond naming the requirements of God. I need to see and hear the hurts of the world and be a part of the healing. This involves sharing these needs with others and taking risks as I attempt to join the cloud of witnesses who touch the souls of those who need to be reminded of the love of God.

I recently attended the funeral of Delos Corderman, a well-known clergy member of the SC Conference, and heard accounts of how he had led a life of faithful servanthood. His strong perspectives on a wide variety of topics and his willingness to expound upon them often generated criticism from those around him, but he never forgot what he was called to do; i.e., proclaim the Good News. Although he had a variety of pulpits, his ability to genuinely care for others will certainly be remembered as his best sermon, a message always delivered with humor and a chuckle. Delos will be missed, but he left us with the challenge to be informed, to speak with passion about what we believe and to enjoy laughing along the way. A Pilgrim’s Perspective allows me to respond to this challenge, so the hiatus has ended.

1 comment:

sunrise girl said...

I am grateful - I have missed your insights and thoughts...
SS