Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Newsweek

Recently, Newsweek made some radical changes in its format and content that left me wondering if I had lost an old friend. However, during the last few days I have had a good opportunity to spend time reading some of the current issues and have discovered a most interesting new friend. I do miss the shorter articles on a variety of subjects, but realize that I do and can read that kind of journalism on-line. What Newsweek now offers are more in-depth stories with a variety of respected voices reflecting on the subjects. Since I still find a special connection with the written word when I can hold it, dog-ear the pages and carry it with me, I find this quite appealing. Although the July 13 issue had a special report on the life and death of Michael Jackson, the "What to Read Now" focus was also included. It is interesting to note that this was the cover story for subscribers and Jackson was on the cover for newsstand readers. All of this seems to reflect another phase in the evolution of print media.

According to the editorial comment, the list of fifty books recommended in this particular issue of Newsweek are ones that “open a window on the times we live in, whether they deal directly with the issues of today or simply help us see ourselves in new and surprising ways.” Each one has a short explanation as to why one should read it in 2009. Some I have read, some are familiar, but too many I don’t know. Also included in this issue are an interesting roundtable discussion of writing books by those who do so and an article by David Gates about the pleasures of revisiting our favorite books. A listing of the top 100 books of all time can be found at Newsweek.com. All of this has left me hungry to find a comfortable, quiet place and do some serious reading.

No comments: