Saturday, June 21, 2008

Remembering

As noted previously, Wendell Berry’s prose and poetry speak to my soul. So, when Amazon told me that I might like to purchase another of his books from them, I couldn’t resist. Remembering is the account of one of Port William’s members, Andy Catlett, as he spends a long day in San Francisco 'remembering' his life and experiences. The loss of a hand to a corn picker has led him into a dark time. Depressed by the state of farming as defined by agribusiness terms and the deterioration of community, Andy begins to reclaim his identity through his memories of people, places and events of the past. I especially enjoyed his encounter with the Ohio State educated farmer followed by his visit with an Amish farmer. Remembering my own connection to farming and community added to my appreciation of this beautifully written book. However, it is worth reading by all who are seeking to know the value of place in their lives.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Click on the link and select to read the 5 page excerpt from the novel. Very compelling. Thanks for the heads up. Tom