Sunday, April 13, 2008

A Few More Thoughts

I am still processing some of the information and thoughts presented at Caring for Creation. Although the urgency to be more environmentally responsible was at the forefront of most presentations, there was also a strong message of hope. This hope can be realized by doing simple things to reduce energy consumption which in turn means burning less fossil fuels, the major contributor to the climate crisis that is looming over us.

Some of the simple things that I am trying to incorporate into my life include:


  • Change a light as one regular light bulb with a compact fluorescent light saves 150 pounds of carbon dioxide a year.

  • Lower the thermostat 2 degrees in the winter and raise it by 2 degrees in summer saves 2,000 lbs. of carbon dioxide.

  • Recycle more as I can save 2400 pounds of carbon dioxide per year by recycling half of household waste.

  • Plant a tree as it will absorb one ton of carbon dioxide over its lifetime.

  • Turn off electronic devices when not using them as this becomes a major saving of carbon dioxide.

  • Think globally, eat locally. I can save about 500 pounds of carbon dioxide by supplying 25% of our food from local sources. (I guess that means lots of sweet potatoes.)

  • Encourage others to adopt similar practices.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen and amen! I try, and I will try harder. I truly appreciate you and Ron for raising our awareness of the need to be good stewards. It is so Biblical, yet so relavent. Please, continue to challenge your readers to live lives that are faithful to the mandates from our God.

Anonymous said...

The sweet potato idea really appeals to me. Not only would our neighbor, Tabor,the Yam, city appreciate our support, but I got some great recipes for French fried sweet potatoes, sweet potato and broccoli coleslaw, sweet potato pasta and sweet potato pudding.Maybe we could transport our sweet potatoes in hybrid cars.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ron & Jean for all you are doing to encouage us to think about our earth. The Lord has blessed us with so much and we need to take care of our earth. Today, Earth Sunday, was wonderful! I enjoyed taking some pictures and seeing all the others also! Thanks for a great activity! What a beautiful day we had! God bless you both! Love, Maria Setzer