Friday, August 10, 2007

The Study of Ministry

After two years of study to clarify the ordering of ministry within The United Methodist Church, the Study of Ministry Commission has released their final report. Basically, it recommends four more years of study by the church. How very Methodist! This study has been a hot topic in deacon conversations as we feel that United Methodism is still struggling to clearly understand who we are called to be. The full report and comments by Tom Frank can be found on-line. I recommend reading both in their entirety. However, Part V references the matters that pertain to the deacon.

A major issue for many deacons has been not being able to preside at the sacraments. Our role is to assist only. Because I have been allowed to reclaim the historic role of deacon as the one who prepares and invites congregants to participate in these holy moments, I have not given this a lot of consideration. I feel that I have a specific role that compliments the one of the elder. However, although the conversation argues that it would be redundant for both elders and deacons to do celebrate the sacraments and that ordination does not necessarily confer this authority, I am still pondering this interpretation especially as it relates to those deacons who serve as chaplains or parish ministers.

In 1997 the first class of permanent deacons was ordained. (I was one of them.) So, we are still in our beginning stage of finding our place within today's church. Many have welcomed us and celebrated who we are. But, I do know that instead of having a ministry that is equal, complimentary and distinctive, deacons seem to be considered as a second class or subordinate. Just ask any member of First UMC. It is always Ken, Scarlett and Jean no matter what the issue. I have been assured that I will always be paid less than an elder at First. At this point in my ministry these matters are of little personal concern. However, I want to help pave the way for deacons in the emerging church as their role could be extremely important to its evolving understanding of mission.

This study of ministry is still struggling with local pastors like my friend, George. I will be interested in what he thinks about this report.

The commission also recommends doing away with the practice of commissioning deacon and elders. When candidates have met basic requirements they will be ordained. This will be separate from full conference membership. This most certainly will generate much discussion especially among those of us who serve on Boards of Ministry and have just now figured out how to lead commissioned members toward ordination.

It will be interesting to see what the 2008 General Conference does with this report. In the meantime, let the discussion be constructive, informed and theological.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am still digesting this report and it's significance for the church, but I am having difficulty because I find myself focusing on the significance for my and my friends in ministry.

I have never understood why deacons were required to have a formal seminary education yet were not permitted to preside over the administration of the sacrements while licensed local pastors could, with no formal education beyond high school, be granted all of the "rights" and authorities of an ordained elder. By the way, I do not have a college degree, much less a seminary degree, and yet, as a licensed local pastor, I have all of the responsibilities and authority of an ordained elder. Well, there are a few differences. My authority does not extend beyond the local church to which I am appointed. I also have no guarantee of appointment, and, as a part time local pastor, I am not entitled to a minimum salary.

As I reflect on this conondrum, I am not surprised that the United Methodist Church is studying the issue. Given my age, I will reach mandatory retirement (age 70) before any resolution. How sad, though, that we find ourselves in this state.

I would never argue the value of formal education, and I truly believe that, on average, the United Methodist clergy are better qualified than many of there peers in other denominations. Yet, I fervently believe that a seminary education is not sufficient to endow a pastor with credentials, nor is the absence of such a disqualifier. And, yes, I realize graduation from seminary does not autimatically grant the status of ordained elder. There are other criteria to be met.

The history of our denomination and its birth in America tells the story of a church founded on the backs of lay pastors. Yes, early on, traveling "elders" were required to baptize, marry and bury. I suspect, though, that Holy Communion was served by lay persons, just as was the case in the early church following the death and resurrection of Jesus.

In those days, deacons were assigned to care for the needy, to free up those gifted to preach and teach. Yet, I read nothing saying those deacons were thus prohibited from consecrating the elements (was that even a factor then?)or baptizing new converts. Nor do I find Scriptural references to the requirement for a seminary education IN ADDITION TO A CALL BY GOD.

I applaud you, Jean, for speaking to this issue. As you can tell, it is something about which I am passionate. I serve in the more rural area of Horry County. Many of my colleagues in non-UMC churches lack seminary education and may be perceived as less than qualified. Yet, I find most to be overwhelmingly commited to a life of service to God and God's people, and there churches seem to be prospering.

I believe that until the United Methodist Church walks away from the presumption that no one without a seminary education can be called by God to a vocation of ministry in the local church, we will see ourselves continuing to lose members and closing churches as we price ourselves out the business.

Finally, for tonight, I strongly believe deacons should have full authority for the sacremental and word aspects of local church leadership. Perhaps the aspect of "order" should be preserved for elders, but probably only because those choosing the role of deacon realize God has gifted them for service and not administration, the obverse of those choosing the elder route.

More to come on this subject.

Anonymous said...

I am still struggling to understand it all. I can explain the elder/ deacon difference in shorthand, but the deeper theological part has always confounded me. It seems we are called to ministry, adn that all ministry does not look alike. Nevertheless, the overarching umbrella is ministry, and the responsibilities of that office (sacraments) should be shared. I think that the Eucharist might be an effective tool for deacons to have as they encounter people in the world beyond our doors. I can see the sacraments shared in small group counseling sessions, in missions, and so forth... I remember Nouwen describing the power of the Eucharist among the mentally challenged and I wish it could be shared in more settings. Furthermore, I do not believe one should drag in an elder just for that. It disturbs the group dynamics. I am rambling.